Friday, April 10, 2009

High School Experience

Before I describe my high school experience, I should probably give you an idea of the type of student I was back then. First and foremost I was an athlete. (I would have used the term jock, but for someone who stood at 5’10 and weighed 150 lbs., the title didn’t seem to fit.) Every waking hour revolved around some extra curricular activity, sports related of course. If I wasn’t practicing or playing I was focusing on socializing or in other words goofing off. I never enjoyed being in the classroom. I probably slept through 5 of the 8 classes I had each day. Needless to say that my drive to learn was almost none existent.
The school I went to was very small and very private. I say very private because no one really knew of it. The student population was about 180, yes that is 9th through 12th grade. My class was probably around 50 students, which was obviously one of the larger classes. You would think with such a small student to teacher ratio that the level of learning would be comparably higher then say to a high school of 2,000 students. Think again. The school as a whole seemed to care more about your obedience then your education. For example, I rarely turned in homework on time or at all with little to no punishment. Yet I was in detention almost every other week for a uniform infraction. I don’t know about you but that seems a little ass backwards. Not to say that there wasn’t any good teachers at the school, but they were few and far between. Now that I think about it, the money spent on tuition was pretty much paying for your grades. To put this in perspective, I graduated with a 3.2 GPA which was somewhat of a surprise considering the fact that I was in summer school prior to graduating. Now, I know its possible to bring your grades up in a year, but there was one underlying factor that didn’t make sense. Which was the fact that every single student in my class graduated with a 3.0 GPA or better. Also, for a Georgia resident to qualify for the Hope scholarship he/she must graduate with a 3.0 GPA or higher. That just seems a little too coincidental to me.

No comments: